WASH Specialist, FT, (NO-C) at United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Specialist, FT, (NO-C)
Job no: 547155
Location: Akure, Ondo
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
Organizational Context and Purpose for the Job
- The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the Organization does — in programmes, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action.
- For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give more children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries.
- This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Job Organizational Context
- The WASH Specialist level 3 GJP is to be used in a Country Office (CO) where the WASH Programme is a major component of the Country Programme (or CCPD).
- The WASH Specialist reports to the Chief of WASH/Health/Nutrition/Education/ADAP/CSD (Level 4/5) or a WASH Manager who is at Level 4.
Purpose of the Job
- The WASH Specialist reports to the Chief of WASH/Health/Nutrition/ADAP/CSD (Level 5/4) or WASH Manager (Level 4) for guidance and general supervision.
- The Specialist supports the development, preparation, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH programme in the Akure Field Office covering Oyo, Ogun, Osun, Ekiti and Ondo states in line with the country WASH programme.
- The Specialist provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes, to facilitate the administration and achievement of the WASH-related output results in the country programme.
Key Functions, Accountabilities and Related Duties / Tasks
- Programme development and planning
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
Programme development and planning:
- Draft the WASH inputs for the situation analysis. Provide timely, comprehensive and current data to inform WASH policy and programme development, planning, management and implementation. Keep abreast of WASH sector development trends, for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in programme design, management and implementation.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of WASH with other UNICEF sectors, for the achievement of the WASH output results.
- Draft assigned sections of the annual work plan, in close cooperation with government and other counterparts.
- Support systems for administration of actions against transmission of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) including Onchocerciasis and Lymphatic Filariasis in all endemic states in the South West.
- Provide technical support for the implementation of the Oyo State Open Defecation Free (ODF) Roadmap and integration of WASH into other sectors in the state.
- Participate in strategic WASH programme planning discussions. Prepare WASH donor proposals, ensuring alignment with UNICEF’s Strategic Plan, UNICEF’s global WASH strategy and the Country programme, as well as government plans and priorities, and the role of other external support agencies.
- Assist in the formulation of the WASH outcome and output results, related indicators, baselines, targets and means of verification. Prepare required documentation for programme reviews.
- Work with colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies for the achievement of WASH output results in the country programme.
Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results:
- With other external support agencies, strengthen national government WASH sector monitoring systems, with a focus on WASH outcomes (behaviors), using bottleneck analysis tools available in the sector (WASH-BAT, CSOs, SDAs).
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to enable timely resolution by management/stakeholders.
- Prepare sectoral progress reports for management, donors and partners.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare reports on results for required action/interventions at the higher level of programme management.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in programmes and management, identify and document lessons learned.
Technical and operational support for programme implementation:
- Actively monitor UNICEF-supported activities through field visits, surveys and exchange of information with partners, to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely interventions.
- Participate in WASH programme meetings, to review progress, with government, other sector agencies and implementation partners, involved at various stages of WASH programme implementation, to provide expert advice and guidance.
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic materials for use by management, donors, UNICEF regional offices and headquarters.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices in WASH, to support programme implementation.
- Plan for use of technical experts from the Regional Office and HQ, as and where appropriate in the WASH programme, through remote support and on-site visits.
Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response:
- Prepare requisitions for supplies, services, long-term agreements and partnership agreements to ensure UNICEF is prepared to deliver on its commitments for WASH in case of an emergency.
- Contribute to the coordination arrangement for humanitarian WASH, for instant robust coordination in case of an emergency.
- Ensure that all UNICEF WASH staff are familiar with UNICEF’s procedures for responding in an emergency.
- Take up support roles in an emergency response and early recovery, as and when the need arises.
Networking and partnership building:
- Build and sustain close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve WASH output results.
- Prepare materials for WASH programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships and support fund-raising.
- Participate in inter-agency discussions, ensuring that UNICEF’s position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF development planning and agenda setting.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building:
- Lead the development, implementation, monitoring and documentation of WASH action research and innovation (technical or systems).
- Prepare learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall WASH sector development.
- Contribute to the systematic assessment of WASH sector capacity gap analysis, in collaboration with government and other stakeholders, and support the design of initiative to strengthen capacities systematically.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
- Create and deliver learning opportunities for UNICEF WASH staff, to ensure our sector capacity remains up-to-date with latest developments.
Impact of Result:
- The support provided by the WASH specialist will enable the country office to achieve the WASH-related output results of the country programme. This, in turn, will contribute to the achievement of the outcome results of the country programme document. When done effectively, the achievement of the outcome results will improve child survival, growth and development and reduce inequalities in the country.
Competencies and Level of Proficiency required
(Based on UNICEF Professional Competency Profiles.)
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
- Analyzing (3)
- Applying technical expertise (3)
- Deciding and Initiating action (2)
- An advanced University Degree in one of the following fields is required: Public Health, Social Sciences, Behavior Change Communication, Sanitary Engineering or another relevant technical field.
- Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree are a strong asset.
- Developmental: a minimum of five years of professional experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries is required. Previous UNICEF Nigeria experience preferred.
- One year of deployment in a developing country is required.
- Humanitarian: At least one three-month deployment mission in a humanitarian situation.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
(Expert knowledge of three components and basic knowledge of three components)
- Rural water supply for low- and middle-income countries – including water safety, sustainability
- Menstrual hygiene management
- National government WASH policies, plans and strategies
- Analysis of national budgets and expenditure for basic WASH, and related advocacy.
- Rural sanitation for low- and middle-income countries, incl sustainability; applying CATS principles
- Urban sanitation for low- and middle-income countries, incl sustainability
- Handwashing with soap
- WASH-in-Schools and Health Centres
Basic knowledge of both components:
- Humanitarian WASH – preparedness
- Humanitarian WASH – response and recovery
- Humanitarian WASH – coordination of the response
(Expert knowledge of two components and basic knowledge of the other two components)
- Programme/project management
- Capacity development
- Knowledge management
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Human rights and WASH
- Gender equality and WASH.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd January, 2022.
Omadaily.com is a News, job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants, together with daily devotionals.
RECOMMENDED JOB SEARCH
- Federal and State Government Recruitment
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Banking and Finance Jobs
- International NGOs Recruitment
- Teaching Jobs
- Federal and State University Jobs
- Federal and State Polytechnic Jobs
- Customer Service Jobs