WASH Officer at the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WASH Officer
Job Identification: 4284
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Category: Engineering
Reports to: WASH Project Coordinator
Supervision of: WASH Assistants (Hygiene Promotion)
Duration and type of contract: 9 months (Renewable subject to performance and availability of funding)
Role and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the officer position is the day to day implementation and, support with the coordination of WaSH Hygiene activities in Northeast Nigeria.
Generic Responsibilities (max 10):
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title.
The responsibilities shall be short and essential.
Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated WASH project portfolio according to the plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention.
This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Coordinate the Hygiene promotion (HP) and community mobilization (CM) activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- Assists the WASH Project Coordinator in all aspects of HP and CM programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Assists in the identification of communities/IDPs Hygiene promotion needs including beneficiary identification and selection process.
- Working closely with the technical officer and Project Coordinator to assist in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly hygiene promotion reports, NFI distributions, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Active participation in hygiene promotion and nutrition sector working group and can be delegated to attend the WASH sector meetings
- Monitoring Hygiene Kits distribution within the communities including liaising with monitoring and evaluation teams for post-distribution monitoring.
- Develop tools and materials for Hygiene Promotion and Community Mobilization
- Assess the HP and CM needs of the communities/IDPs and assist in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conducts a training session on HP and CM for the local Hygiene Promoters
- Performs any other duties as requested by the WASH Project Coordinator
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Strategy and project planning and implementation: WASH Program Manager
- Program Supports: Finance Officer, Administrative officer, Logistics Coordinator and officers, Area Manager
Scale and scope of the position:
- Staff: Hygiene Promotion Assistants (4)
- Stakeholders: Key external stakeholders the post has relationships with (e.g. UN agencies, INGOs, local NGOs, civil society, governmental bodies)
- Budgets: Not Applicable
- Information: GORS, Agresso, Intranet, Work Place
- Legal or compliance: Terms of Employment, NRC Code of Conduct, NRC Security SoPs.
Context / Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree qualification
- Knowledge of the context in North-East Nigeria
- Minimum of 2 years experience from working with hygiene promotion and community mobilization projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Experience Hygiene promotion in cholera outbreak context within the host communities/camps and a tailored knowledge on Covid-19 awareness-raising, prevention and mitigation.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with the distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results.
They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Familiarity with international minimum standards of water, hygiene, sanitation (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Must have previous experience in training and Training of Trainers.
- Must be willing to work as a team member, take direction, and share technical skills with colleagues and counterparts
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
- Degree or Higher Diploma in Public Health and, relevant related Field (Social Science or Communication)
Behavioural competencies (max 6):
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job.
NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 25th January, 2022 by 09:43.
Omadaily.com is a News, job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants, together with daily devotionals.
RECOMMENDED JOB SEARCH
- Federal and State Government Recruitment
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Banking and Finance Jobs
- International NGOs Recruitment
- Teaching Jobs
- Federal and State University Jobs
- Federal and State Polytechnic Jobs
- Customer Service Jobs