UNICEF Job for Emergency Specialist
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights.
To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Emergency Specialist
Job No: 546759
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Emergency Programme
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under the direct supervision and general guidance of the Emergency Manager, P4, Emergency Specialist establishes and implements emergency preparedness and response.
- S/He will be responsible for the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the emergency interventions to ensure the survival and well-being of children and mothers, and the affected communities in an emergency situation.
Tasks / Responsibilities
- Adopts adequate emergency preparedness measures through the development and updating of country contingency plans and establishment of early warning mechanisms, to ensure effective preparedness and response to specific emergencies.
- Participates in the formulation and development of plans of action in preparation and response to emergencies, monitors compliance of all sectors with emergency plans of action, including financial resources. Ensures coordination of the management of emergency preparedness and response.
- Provides technical advice related to emergency preparedness and response, including on programme management related issues. Provides advice to the country office in the implementation of emergency preparedness measures in the field to strengthen preparedness and response mechanisms in the country faced with impending emergencies.
- Develops and maintains databases on country/regional information and ensure the flow of information and communication crucial for the planning and implementation of emergency preparedness and response management. Identifies availability of resources in emergency prone areas and establish logistics plans to be implemented during an emergency operation, to ensure a timely and effective emergency response.
- Plans, organizes and conducts training for the office’s staff capacity building in emergencies preparedness and response. Assists in developing and conducting emergency training courses. Provides training and/or briefing, as required. Participates in other emergency training workshops in the region and builds up the emergency preparedness and response capability of UNICEF staff as well as implementing partners.
Trending Sales and Marketing Officer Job at Harmony Group
- In the event of an emergency, takes prompt action as a member of the Emergency Response Team which is deployed immediately to establish UNICEF’s presence and implement the initial operational tasks relating to emergency assistance. Immediately verifies the nature and extend of the emergency with staff, government officials, other UN agencies or local organizations and media.
- Ensures that the office is provided with effective telecommunications facility and staff security assistance in an emergency, as necessary. In coordination with the Programme and operations groups, establishes contact with all UNICEF staff, their dependents and visitors to ensure their safety and whereabouts, and informs OPSCEN and the Regional Director of their status.
- Participates and assists with assessment of local emergency and security situation affecting children and mothers in the locality, in conjunction with the Regional Office, the HQ Divisions, and field staff. Visits the location to conduct an initial rough assessment of the magnitude of the crisis and its implications for children and its impact on the community.
- Assesses the validity of the office preparedness plan and ability of the office vis-à-vis the current crisis as well as immediate and additional needs. Determines corporate priorities and an appropriate intervention (supply procurement, fund-raising and staff development) by UNICEF. Coordinates with other partners to make a rapid assessment covering priority areas as defined by the Core Commitment for Children in Emergencies.
- Establishes contact with community groups, government, UN agencies, media and other partners to keep abreast of emergency situations.
- Applies the emergency preparedness and response plan as necessary and identifies urgent staffing requirements and redeploys country office staff as required.
- Executes the timely delivery of assistance and procurement of supplies, monitors the appropriate and effective use of UNICEF resources/inputs. Identifies problems and constraints in order to ensure effective project delivery.
- Certifies the disbursement of funds, monitors expenditures and submits financial status reports. Sets up a reporting system and sends daily situation reports to concerned parties.
Trending UNICEF Job for Education Specialist (Access)
- Participates in the implementation of plans of action and workplans for emergency projects. Implements and manages project activities. Undertakes field visits to emergency project areas, to assess local conditions and monitor project progress.
- Makes technical decisions on project administration (e.g., activates, requests or reprogrammed allocation of emergency funds). Prepares inputs for appeals and updates related to emergencies. Works with program sections and senior management to mobilize donor response and recovery/rehabilitation-related funding, including annual or multi-annual humanitarian appeals and documents (e.g., pitch documents).
- Communicates and advocates on the situation and needs of children through local and international media, as appropriate.
- Identifies implementing/operational partners and establishes implementing arrangements. Ensures that the UNICEF support is effectively provided to the government with respect to sectoral coordination within the framework of the cluster approach and based on the Core Commitment for Children.
- Participates in all humanitarian and recovery related forum and keeps management informed of all humanitarian developments in the country in terms of policies, strategy, situation developments, potential threats and opportunities/issues in partnership.
- Promotes that disaster prevention, mitigation, preparedness and response strategies are mainstreamed in the country office’s workplans. Prepares sectoral input for the country programme documents, plan of action, annual work plans, and all related documents of the office’s Emergency Preparedness and Response. Contributes towards the preparation of the Situation Analysis and the Country Programme Document.
- Identifies longer-term requirements of the emergency operation/interventions. Proposes a more regular operational and staffing structure to take over from the Emergency Response Team.
- Maintains continuous, effective, and strategic coordination, communication, consultation and liaison with Government, UN agencies, NGOs, donors and allies to appeal for aid for children and women with special needs resulting from the emergency situation requiring an effective emergency response in all sectors.
To qualify as an Advocate For Every Child, You Will Have
Trending NIMC Job for Biometric Architect (Nigeria Digital Identification for Development Project)
- An Advanced University degree from a recognized university in one of the following fields: Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Law, Public Health, Nutrition, International Relations, Business Administration or other related disciplines is required. A combination of management, administration, and relevant technical fields is preferred.
- Experience in emergency context is considered as an asset.
- Specialized training/experience in emergency response management is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of the local languages at the duty station are required.
- Five years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national level in emergency programme/project development, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and administration and field work experience required.
For every Child, You Demonstrate
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA)
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
- Builds and maintains partnerships
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Thinks and acts strategically
- Works collaboratively with others.
- Drive to achieve results
- Innovates and embraces change
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Qualified female candidates are specially encouraged to apply
Application Closing Date: 20th December, 2021.
RECOMMENDED JOB SEARCH
- Federal and State Government Recruitment
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Banking and Finance Jobs
- International NGOs Recruitment
- Teaching Jobs
- Federal and State University Jobs
- Federal and State Polytechnic Jobs
- Customer Service Jobs