Programme Officer at Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD)
Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD) is an international development charity and the official aid agency of the Catholic Church in England and Wales that stand beside people living in poverty. Through local Church partners, we help people directly in their own communities, and campaign for global justice, so that everyone can reach their full potential.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer – Food Security and Livelihood
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week.
- The Programme Officer – Food Security and Livelihood (PO – FSL) will provide accompaniment capacity nationally as part of CAFOD’s International Programme Team, and will also provide support to Islamic Relief Emergency Response funded programmes in Nigeria.
- The accompaniment capacity provided by members of CAFOD Nigeria is usually in the form of field physical visits or remote support for leadership, management, coordination or technical support to a wide range of new and ongoing humanitarian crises. The support may focus on specific areas such as assessments, response options analysis, proposal development, project design and implementation, and evaluations.
- The PO – FSL will take a leading role in strengthening CAFOD’s organization-wide systems and skills to support partners in their food security and livelihood programming. This will assist the partner to deliver on time-based emergency response interventions.
- This position requires technical knowledge and experience of cash transfer programming, as well as emergency food security and livelihoods. Inherent in the PO – FSL role is the need for flexibility and an ability to travel at short notice to potentially insecure and remote locations.
- This role contributes to CAFOD’s commitment in the humanitarian emergency by collaborating with local partners and communities to meet the growing humanitarian needs in areas of Food Security and Livelihoods.
- The Programme Officer – Food Security and Livelihoods is responsible for developing, implementing and representing CAFOD’s FSL and CVA Programme in NE Nigeria. As part of this the post-holder is responsible for managing the implementation all CAFOD Food Security/Cash and Voucher Assistant projects in NE Nigeria.
- The post holder is line managed by the Country Representative. The role has no permanent management nor budget responsibilities.
- The post-holder will be based in Maiduguri and will travel frequently within North East region.
Emergency response and technical support (75%):
- The PO – Food Security and Livelihoods will work directly with CAFOD partners mainly in North-East Nigeria. These partners include Caritas Nigeria, JDPC Maiduguri and JDPC Yola.
- He/ she will also work with the selected Caritas agencies and other partners and take lead on the Islamic Relief Worldwide, Islamic Relief Canada and CAFOD Core funds in the NE.
- They will seek and act upon opportunities for collaboration on Food Security/Livelihoods and CVA within CAFOD, with Caritas Internationalis member organizations (CIMOs) and other key stakeholders (INGOs, FBOs and CSOs).
- Within CAFOD the post holder will work closely with programme staff in Nigeria and the International Programme Group.
- The post-holder will work closely with selected local partners, Caritas organizations and other humanitarian actors and the post-holder is required demonstrate experience and expertise in working with partners and knowledge of above-mentioned thematic programmes.
- Support development of activities progress reports for the program team as well as contribute to the development of donor reports.
- Support the delivery of high-quality humanitarian programming with specific interest on by providing training and technical expertise – particularly in relation to FSL/CVA to CAFOD programme staff and partners.
- Provide technical support to CAFOD’s and partners in emergency food security/livelihoods programmes and cash and voucher assistance.
- Conduct Food Security & Livelihood needs and market assessments for program development
- Lead and advise on the design and implementation of Food Security and Livelihoods and Cash Voucher Assistance and on most appropriate tools to use at each stage of the programme cycle.
- The PO will provide ongoing mentoring, advice, and technical support to partners to strengthen their capacity.
Representation and communication (15%):
- Represent CAFOD at interagency fora and strengthen relationships with Caritas Internationalis sister agencies to promote and aid coordinated humanitarian
- Represents CAFOD in coordination and sector meetings not limited to Cash working group, Food Security Sector working group among others.
- Develop supporter communications in conjunction with CAFOD’s external communication.
People Management of partner staff (5%):
- Where required, collaborate with partner staff in accordance with CAFOD’s people framework and support their continual learning to ensure effective responses to emergencies.
Other responsibilities (5%):
- Leading or supporting project work to support ERG strategic priorities.
- Conducting research/analysis and participating in working groups, learning reviews and evaluations; support dissemination and follow-up of findings and recommendations.
- This list of duties and responsibilities is by no means exhaustive and the post holder may be required to undertake other relevant and appropriate duties as required. This job description is subject to regular review and appropriate modification.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Animal Husbandry, Agribusiness, Soil Science, Crop Protection and Management, Agronomy or a related field, or a Degree in any other field but with a Master’s Degree in Food Security & Livelihoods related field of study.
- Proven ability to translate analysis and evaluation into operational planning and strategy
- Experience with evaluations and monitoring FSL Programs as well as Program Cycle Management.
- Experience in team capacity building Advanced computer skills, especially in Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Good analytical and report writing skills;
- Experience in Food security and Livelihood assessments including cash and market assessments in emergency contexts.
- Knowledge of the north-eastern Nigeria context specifically experience with start-up or expansion/scale up of new programmes
- Experience working with donor agencies- ECHO, START Network, BHA and UN agencies.
- Experience in Food security preparedness using SPHERE Minimum Standards
- Understanding of the local context and ability to speak local languages.
N10,213,030 per annum.
Safeguarding for Children and Vulnerable Adults
- CAFOD recognises the personal dignity and rights of children and vulnerable adults, towards whom it has a special responsibility and a duty of care and respect.
- CAFOD, and all its staff and volunteers, undertake to do all in our power to create a safe environment for children, young people and vulnerable adults and to prevent their physical, sexual or emotional abuse.
- CAFOD is committed to acting at all times in the best interests of children and vulnerable adults, seeing these interests as paramount.
- Any candidate offered a job with CAFOD will be expected to adhere to CAFOD’s Safeguarding policy and sign CAFOD’s Code of Behaviour as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents
Application Deadline 14th November, 2021.
Omadaily.com is a News, job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants, together with daily devotionals.