Capacity Building Assistant at International Rescue Committee
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Capacity Building Assistant
Requisition ID: req23274
Employment Type: Full-Time
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The IRC is seeking one Community Engagement Assistant to support it’s From Response to Resilience project in Maiduguri, Nigeria. Through the project, we will build the resilience of the people, neighborhoods, and governmental systems of urban Maiduguri to address the risks the city currently faces. We will implement this project while supporting the local integration of internally displaced persons wishing to reside within Maiduguri permanently.
- As Community Engagement Assistant, you will assist the Advocacy Manager and Capacity Building Officer to organize and plan capacity development activities and simulation exercises for national, state and local level government stakeholders, as well a traditional and community leaders.
Project Quality and Strategy:
- Work as part of a team to develop and implement capacity building approaches and activities, including for disaster preparedness and response, good governance, and other technical and operational capacity needs.
- Support to organize and facilitate quarterly City Level Collaboration Forum meetings, including maintaining and sharing the minutes of meetings with all participants and keeping an accurate record of participant’s discussions.
- Complete weekly reports on project activities, including good quality activity photos, documentation of feedback from community engagement sessions, and the proactive sharing of lessons learned.
- Assist in keeping records of all capacity building activities, in collaboration with the M&E Officer.
- Help to plan and carry out community and government stakeholder mobilization, awareness creation, and information dissemination activities.
- Provide direct administrative support to the Governance team including copying, dissemination of documents, assisting the preparation of procurement-related documents, tracking purchase and payment requests, etc.
- Collect information, compile data, produce reports, and organize files as requested by the team.
- Support the development and maintenance of knowledge management systems for sharing information across the consortium, to other sectors within the IRC, and to external stakeholders
- Coordinate with IRC HR and Logistics teams as necessary to organize travel and administrative needs
- And all other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Advocacy Manager, based in Maiduguri
- Position directly supervises: n/a
- Internal: Supply Chain and Finance
- External: Service provider, Traditional and Community Leaders, Local Government Authorities, Government Ministries/Agencies.
- Indirect Reporting: Sr. Urban Resilience Manager, based in Maiduguri
- Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- At least 1 year of professional humanitarian/development experience; Experience in capacity building and conducting trainings required.
- Experience with community engagement and participatory processes, including: previous facilitation of group work with relevant populations, active participant of sectoral/social groups, and experience with capacity building or training exercises.
- Able to solve complex problems through a reciprocal and consultative approach
- Ability to live and productively work under stress while maintain a sense of humor.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Hausa is required. Additional fluency in Kanuri is preferred.
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of urban resilience concepts a plus.
- Good communication skills (written and verbal), cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- The IRC is a team-work environment and requires a person who will work with colleagues from many cultural backgrounds, understand and contribute to the organization’s goals, work well as a member of a group/team, and respect the thoughts and opinions of others in the team.
- The security situation in North East Nigeria continues to be volatile with security level currently at 3 (orange), though subject to change.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: This position is contingent on funding
Omadaily.com is a News, job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants, together with daily devotionals.
RECOMMENDED JOB SEARCH
- Federal and State Government Recruitment
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Banking and Finance Jobs
- International NGOs Recruitment
- Teaching Jobs
- Federal and State University Jobs
- Federal and State Polytechnic Jobs
- Customer Service Jobs