The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: Aviation Officer – SC9
Requisition ID: 152722
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job type: Short Term-SC WFP
- The job holder will report to a more senior Aviation Officer.
- Job holder is likely to be involved in more complex and specialized analysis requirements and will be expected to operate with a high degree of independence.
- Job holder may supervise junior staff to ensure that aviation operations and project objectives are achieved in accordance with appropriate operational risk management process.
- Contribute to daily planning and coordination of global aviation initiatives or day-to-day aviation operations to ensure that operations and objectives are achieved safely, at optimum value and in full.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Contribute to the planning and coordination or activities relating to the safe execution of aviation operations in accordance with WFP and UN AVSTADS (Aviation Standards).
- Support or manage aviation projects or operational activities applying standard processes, including the appropriate operational risk management processes, to contribute to effective humanitarian air transportation.
- Provide technical advice to country office to ensure safe aviation operations are incorporated into local program planning and transport arrangements.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners to safe aviation operations e.g. through the design and review of training materials.
- Identify and build productive relationships with WFP colleagues and staff within the unit or area of assignment to align activities and enable a coordinated and coherent approach to humanitarian air transportation.
- Follow emergency aviation preparedness practices to ensure WFP are able to quickly provide passenger services, relief supplies and emergency medical and security evacuations at the onset of a crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet the required provision of service to the humanitarian community as needed.
- Collect and analyze a wide range of data from diverse sources through research and networking with colleagues to formulate and recommend actions to senior staff to improve performance of aviation activities and operations.
- Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies.
- Support regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimize use of available funds.
- Guide and supervise a limited number of junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP-wide view of aviation activities that enables informed decision making and detailed reporting to donor representatives.
- Other as required.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Capability Name – Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level:
- Supply Chain Management and Optimization – Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.
- Planning, Project & Resource Management – Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
- Information Management & Reporting – Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.
- Service Provision, Aviation Contracting and Operational Execution – Demonstrates ability to negotiate contracts with WFP partners within own transportation modality/region that incentivize optimal performance by appealing to the interest of all parties.
- Aviation Performance Measurement & Quality Control – Demonstrates ability to enforce adherence to WFP’s operating and quality standards within own teams to ensure that aviation operations are carried out in a high quality, safe, timely, and responsible manner.
- Specialized Technical Knowledge in Aviation, Safety and Security – Demonstrates ability to contribute to advancements in air-based supply chain management through effective utilization of WFP’s extensive network of chartered and commercial airfreight and passenger transport service providers ensuring safety and security of effective delivery of services.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Advanced University Degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses. Holds or has held a Commercial Pilot License, Air Traffic Control License or Flight Operations Officer License (or equivalent), Aeronautical Engineer or Maintenance Engineer License.
- Experience: 3 or more years of postgraduate professional experience in relevant field.
- Language: International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
- National Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language and the duty station’s language, if different.
Desired Experiences for entry into the role:
- Experience in technical aircraft, flight operations, or air traffic management sectors.
- Experience using aviation safety information systems to compile data and perform analyses on potential aviation risks.
- Experience identifying Aviation Security threats.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Terms and Conditions
- Only Nigerian Nationals are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications are to be submitted and received online and in English language only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is strictly prohibited. Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
- WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
Application Deadline 15th November, 2021. at 11:59 PM (Nigeria Time)
Omadaily.com is a News, job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants, together with daily devotionals.
RECOMMENDED JOB SEARCH
- Federal and State Government Recruitment
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Banking and Finance Jobs
- International NGOs Recruitment
- Teaching Jobs
- Federal and State University Jobs
- Federal and State Polytechnic Jobs
- Customer Service Jobs