The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Youth Envoy to the Chairperson
Requisition ID: 723
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: P3
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Reports to: Cabinet of the Chairperson
Division: Youth Division
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Directorate / Department: Women, Gender and Youth – WGYD
Purpose of Job
- The Youth Envoy will work under the guidance of the AUC Chairperson, through the Cabinet, in close collaboration with the Women, Gender and Youth Directorate (WGYD).
- The Youth Envoy will work closely with the Women, Gender and Youth Directorate (WGYD) to Champion AU’s youth policies,
- Promote policy and partnership for youth engagement, and
- Mobilize political commitments on youth issues.
- Advocate for the development and implementation of AU youth development and engagement frameworks, policies, strategies and programmes
- Champion and promote best practices on youth development and engagement
- Consult and mobilize youth networks, to dialogue and engage in the development and implementation of AU Youth Frameworks
- Work closely with the Women, Gender and Youth Directorate to ensure alignment in content and priorities for youth Development and engagement the office of the Youth Envoy
- Represent African youth voices in AU policy processes
- Undertake additional tasks as requested by the AUC Chairperson
The AU Chairperson’s Youth Envoy will be responsible for the following functions, among others:
- To Champion AU’s Youth policies and priorities as articulated in the African Youth Charter, the Africa Plan of Action on Youth Empowerment (APAYE) Guided by Agenda 2063
- Work with key partners – including governments, academic institutions, media and civil society, financial institutions and the private and non-governmental sectors
- Facilitate multi-stakeholder partnerships in the implementation of the African Youth Charter, APAYE and other AU policies with a bearing on youth.
- To Promote regional, continental and global partnership to support youth engagement and bring youth into AUC policy dialogues and decision making processes
- Promote the systematic and meaningful engagement of African young people, including those from marginalized communities, in areas affected by conflict and humanitarian emergencies.
- Mainstream and promote the engagement of young people through other creative and non-traditional avenues including the use of social media.
- Work with relevant AUC Departments to advocate and expand the space for youth in the work of the AUC, including the parity agenda on achieving 35% quotas for young people at the AUC.
- Work with the relevant AU Department to mobilize resources, according to the AU financial rules and regulations for programmes, related to her work.
- Prepare periodic work plan duly reviewed and approved by the CCP in collaboration with WGDY
- Work closely with the Cabinet of the Chairperson on any matters related to the area of involvement, as assigned by the respective authorities.
- Play a key role in the organization of special youth events comprising among others; Africa Youth Day, International Youth Day, and Intergenerational Dialogues, mobilizing voices of youth in the planning, implementation and evaluation of these events, platforms and frameworks; and increase regional, continental and global awareness and attention to youth issues.
- Promote youth leadership at member state and continental levels including through advocacy for enhanced youth participation in the work of the AUC, with a special focus on the most marginalized and vulnerable youth.
- Advocate for expanded investments and resources for youth development and policies.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have Master’s Degree in Development Studies or any related field with a Minimum progressive work experience of 3 years in public policy, public engagement, youth development, project management or related fields;
- Experience working on youth development issues
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Development Studies or any related field with a Minimum progressive work experience 5 years in public policy, public engagement, youth development, project management or related fields;
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Creativity and drive to innovate
- Strategic Insight..
- Developing others…
- Change Management…
- Managing Risk…
- Building Relationships…
- Foster Accountability Culture…
- Learning Orientation…
- Communicating with Influence…
- Conceptual thinking…
- Job Knowledge Sharing…
- Drive for Results…
- Continuous improvement orientation…
Tenure of Appointment
- The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 96,921.34 (P3 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 78,461.08 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by people assigned to this job.
They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
All personnel may be required to perform other responsibilities in addition to those specified from time to time, as needed
• We do not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices
• Our people are all equally gifted in unique ways: we come from diverse traditions, personal experiences and points of view. And we want to include yours, Are you ready to inspire us with your ideas?
• We encourage all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• Due to the urgency of the position, we have the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline
• Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview
Omadaily.com is a job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants. Omadaily.com is not an agent of this organization, we can not assist any applicant secure a job, loan, grant or scholarship. We only share the information for interested persons to apply.
Omadaily admins will never call any applicant requesting for payment of my kind or request for any OTP code.
Our services are absolutely free of charge.
Beware of fraudsters
Are you tired of applying for lots of job openings and not getting interviews?
We have the solution you seek!
Getting your dream job begins with a lot of personal branding and our CV writing experts will help your resume/ Cv gain clarity and turn your career journey into a professional story with the use of specific ATS keywords for your industry that will communicate your skills, expertise and ability to employers in a unique and professional manner, winning you more job interviews.
Most of our clients have attested to getting up to 3 interviews in a week after our professional CV revamp, and the use of our creative cover letter and LinkedIn profile optimization services.
You can purchase any of these services when you click on the link below
Send a mail to email@example.com
We are 100% more than the hype.😊❤️
Application Deadline 8th October, 2021.