Advocacy Manager at International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advocacy Manager
Requisition ID: req23267
Employment Type: Full-Time
Sector: Advocacy & Government Affairs
Employment Category: Regular
Open to Expatriates: No
Job Overview / Summary
- The IRC is seeking one Advocacy Manager to support it’s From Response to Resilience project in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
- Through the project, we will build the resilience of the people, neighborhoods, and governmental systems of urban Maiduguri to address the risks the city currently faces.
- We will implement this project while supporting the local integration of internally displaced persons wishing to reside within Maiduguri permanently.
- The Advocacy Manager will be responsible for developing and maintaining positive working links with federal, state, and local government authorities, in order to ensure positive and productive engagement within the scope of the ECHO-funded From Response to Resilience in Maiduguri (R2R) project, as well as other priority IRC projects.
General Advocacy Support:
- Work collaborative to develop an engagement and policy influence strategy to support the R2R project and/or other key IRC outcomes, outlining priorities, action points, and methods for tracking and measuring progress against plans.
- Closely monitor and document policy debates, changes in policies, and shifting strategies, and ensure relevant information is disseminated to project staff in a timely manner.
- Identify and keep abreast of appropriate opportunities and points of leverage where IRC can influence, intervene, or contribute to relevant policy processes or help raise IRC’s profile.
- Support the generation and collection of relevant evidence that would facilitate policy and advocacy deliverables.
- Prepare evidence-based policy briefs, presentations, advocacy statements, talking points, training materials, and media to raise project visibility.
R2R Specific Advocacy Support:
- Identify and map key personnel within State; Municipal; and Local government, and develop a stakeholder engagement plan for how to approach these individuals and units as key stakeholders to the program
- Develop and manage relationships with identified key stakeholders in relevant ministries/departments/structures, at State, Municipal, and Local level, to ensure their active participating in the program, including the City-Level Collaboration Forum.
- Together with the Capacity Building Officer, develop capacity building approaches and activities, including for disaster preparedness and response, good governance, and other technical and operational capacity needs.
- Work with the team in the standardization and publication of training material.
- Oversee the implementation and facilitation of the City-Level Collaboration Forums, ensuring the uptake of Area-Based disaster preparedness tools, including 5Ws and quarterly action plans.
- And all other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Key Working Relationships
- Position Reports to: Senior Urban Resilience Manager, based in Maiduguri
- Position directly supervises: Capacity Building Officer and Capacity Building Assistant, based in Maiduguri
- Indirect Reporting: n/a
- Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Internal: Supply Chain and Finance, Regional Policy Advisors, HQ Technical Advisors
- External: Service provider, Traditional and Community Leaders, Local Government Authorities, Government Ministries/Agencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Community Development, Public Administration, Law, International Development, Project Management or other relevant field;
- Minimum four (4) years of experience in local governance, social accountability, public administration, institutional development, public-sector capacity building or related technical areas;
- Strong track record in working in partnership with governments and civil society at various levels;
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate and partner with communities, civil society, and government representatives;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency in written and spoken Hausa and/or Kanuri is preferred.
- Strong knowledge and understanding governance in service delivery, in particular disaster preparedness and response;
- Solid experience in participatory, flexible, conflict and gender-sensitive programming and implementation;
- The IRC is a team-work environment and requires a person who will work with colleagues from many cultural backgrounds, understand and contribute to the organization’s goals, work well as a member of a group/team, and respect the thoughts and opinions of others in the team.
- The security situation in North East Nigeria continues to be volatile with security level currently at 3 (orange), though subject to change.
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: This position is contingent on funding
Omadaily.com is a News, job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants, together with daily devotionals.
RECOMMENDED JOB SEARCH
- Federal and State Government Recruitment
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Banking and Finance Jobs
- International NGOs Recruitment
- Teaching Jobs
- Federal and State University Jobs
- Federal and State Polytechnic Jobs
- Customer Service Jobs