Adolescent Development Specialist: Generation Unlimited at UNICEF
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Adolescent Development Specialist: Generation Unlimited, NOC
Job No: 547625
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Adolescent Development, Private Fundraising and Partnerships
For Every Child, a Champion
- Generation Unlimited Nigeria (GenU Nigeria) is a public-private-youth partnership platform established to support adolescents and youth successfully transition from learning to earning. GenU Nigeria’s goal is to support 20 M youth, aged 10-24, access to job related 21st Century skills and/or employment by 2030.
- GenU crowds in public and private partners as well as young people with the aim to co-create innovative solutions to be implemented by all partners for results at scale. It is a powerful partnership platform focused on unlocking all existing in-country, regional and global investments in support of empowering youth to play a positive role in their societies and the global economy. It unleashes the voices of young people, creates synergies between major actors and accelerates momentum towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
- GenU Nigeria gives a special focus to adolescent girls and boys, young women and men and young people with specific needs, especially those at greater risk of being left behind, such as youth living with disabilities, young people on the move, young people affected by conflict and natural disasters, rural youth and youth from poor backgrounds. GenU Nigeria is committed to taking urgent action today so young people have the support they need to assume leadership roles tomorrow.
- With a view to ensure that schools and communities are connected to the internet and have access to data (through local hubs – school to school connectivity, etc.) with the support of GenU partners, such as GIGA, IHS, Airtel, MTN, etc.; adolescent girls and boys are supported to complete primary and secondary education with meaningful learning/skilling outcomes, including digital skills and out-of-school children (adolescent mothers, youth from poor households, youth living with disabilities, youth living in areas affected by conflict, youth on the mover, etc.) are supported to obtain accredited, flexible learning opportunities, including digital skills, and become active agents of community changes.
How Can You Make a Difference?
- Under the supervision of the Chief of Field office in Lagos, Nigeria, the incumbent will support UNICEF’s catalytic role in the development of GenU Nigeria and the rollout of YOMA.
- The Adolescent Specialist will work closely with all GenU partners and internally at UNICEF, with the GenU Team and all programme sections (particularly Innovation, Education, Child Protection, Nutrition, Health, WASH, Communication, Advocacy and Partnerships and M&E), CFOs and GenU focal points in focus Field Offices.
- This post will be key in ensuring UNICEF NCO plays a catalytic role in support of the GenU Secretariat successfully rolling out GenU Nigeria’s partnership, strategy and target achievement. She/he will be based in Lagos with 10-20% travel to selected focus states.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
To have maximum impact, GenU will focus on three priorities:
- Digital skills and access to data
- Skills for learning, employability and decent work
- Youth engagement and empowerment.
Coordinate UNICEF’s contribution to the GenU Nigeria framework:
- Ensure that GenU Nigeria’s Strategy is integrated into UNICEF programme strategies and aligned to outcomes for children in education, health, nutrition, child protection, WASH, youth engagement and other relevant programme sections
- Support GenU Nigeria’s Secretariat to monitor implementation and progress of the GenU Nigeria strategic plan and ensure timely contribution from UNICEF NCO on agreed components
- Work as an integral part of GenU Nigeria’s national secretariat (UNICEF and TEF) in support of creating the public-private-youth partnership, organizing co-creation meetings with GenU Nigeria partners, supporting CAP with formalizing partnerships, support the organization of GenU Nigeria Board, Steering Committee and Task Forces meetings
- Work closely with the Youth Engagement Team to support with creating and coordinating GenU Nigeria’s Young People’s Action Teams (YPATs) and support identification of Nigerian young champions (Influential young Nigerians, including celebrities, philanthropists and young field experts) to participate in co-creating GenU Nigeria and sit on the GenU Board, Steering Committee and Task Forces
- Work closely with the Youth Engagement Team to support integration of UNICEF’s Young People’s engagement programme, including Youth Challenge and UReport, in GenU Nigeria
- Work closely with the Youth Engagement Team to support GenU team with overseeing the Challenge Funds and ensure they contribute to GenU Nigeria.
Support the implementation of the Youth Agency Marketplace (YOMA) as part of GenU Nigeria:
- Support the team design and implement GenU Nigeria’s Youth Challenge through YOMA using a dynamic model that brings together young Nigerians to design innovative new solutions in support of education, skills, employment, entrepreneurship and youth engagement for scale and private sector investments
- Support the development of the YOMA strategy for GenU Nigeria and rollout plan to reflect priorities of young Nigerians aged 10-24, in support of preparing every young Nigerian to become productive and engaged members of society by being in some form of school, learning, training and/or employment by 2030
- Contribute to conducting biannual lessons learned workshop for YOMA
- Contribute to lead the process of building YOMA Nigeria partnerships between national and local youth organizations to draw on collective expertise, planning and investment to support young people’s meaningful participation, communication and advocacy.
- Support the overall Focal Point for YOMA scale-up in UNICEF Nigeria
- Support the coordination and implementation of YOMA roll out in UNICEF in close consultation with the YOMA Global team
To Qualify as an Advocate For Every Child You Will Have
- An Advanced University Degree in one of the following fields is required: International Development, Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology, Education or another relevant field.
- A Bachelor’s degree with additional two years of relevant work experience may be accepted.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience, at the national and international level working with children and marginalized youth in the global south, including on adolescent/youth/community engagement and innovation
- Fluency in English and French is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
Skills and Work Experience:
- Specialised training in youth, gender, diversity, community leadership and engagement, entrepreneurship, innovation and social, behavioural change is an asset
- Strong interpersonal, communication, public speaking, presentation, writing, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Good computer skills with software proficiency in Windows, Microsoft Office Suit (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote)
- Previous work experience with UNICEF would be an advantage.
- Previous experience in Africa is essential
- Experience in working with teams
For Every Child, You Demonstrate
UNICEF’s core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA), and:
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness
- Works Collaboratively with others
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships
- Innovates and Embraces Change
- Thinks and Acts Strategically
- Drives to achieve impactful results
- Manages ambiguity and complexity.
Application Deadline 25th January, 2022.
Omadaily.com is a News, job, vacancy, career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans and grants, together with daily devotionals.
RECOMMENDED JOB SEARCH
- Federal and State Government Recruitment
- Oil and Gas Jobs
- Banking and Finance Jobs
- International NGOs Recruitment
- Teaching Jobs
- Federal and State University Jobs
- Federal and State Polytechnic Jobs
- Customer Service Jobs